Thursday, May 10, 2007

picnic lunch

I am walking to Haggens to buy my lunch. The spring sunlight shines on me with a blessing. It would be too hot, but there's a cooling wind rippling through the valley. It's so lovely I've decided I'm going to have a picnic lunch at the park. As I walk into the store, a display of strawberries and raspberries catches my eye, and my nose. The strawberries are too much for me, but the raspberries are a good price. They're in a smaller package too, so they'll be easier to carry. I grab my usual egg-salad sandwich from the lunch bar and check out. The walk to the park is noisy and full of cars. I don't like it! As I arrive though, the roaring and the smoke, and the heat and bright lights fade away. I enter a glowing green and gold paradise of dappled sunlight and birdsong. I walk along, looking for a good place. I don't have to go far. The ground slopes away into a little hollow, where the creek slows and widens into a little pond. A mother duck shepherds her four little ones through the water, and tall grass sways in the cooling breeze. I find a dip in the hill, perfect to sit in, and spread out my lunch. A couple of fat frogs jump into the water, their awkward bulk making big plops. Their eyes peep out of the water and watch me warily. The raspberries are good, I'm glad I got them. They're sweet and flavorful, and they squish pleasently in my mouth. A family walks by, and the mother comes down to take a picture of the ducks with her cellphone. She has an insrument case on her back, it looks like it's probably a guitar. Her small son follows her haltingly down the hill and looks at the ducks. His brothers call him back, but he says plaintively, "I want to walk down into the water and touch them." His mother, seeing his desire to be involved with the ducks, opens a bag of dried apples and gives him a few. He tosses them to the ducks. They grab at the apple pieces, but don't seem impressed. The little boy is satisfied though. He turns to go back up the hill, and sees my raspberries. He looks at me shyly. "May I please have one?" He asks. His mother, mortified, tries to shush him. I tell her it's fine and offer him some. He takes only one, and popping it in his little mouth, he gives me the sweetest smile. I am glad that I can make him happy. He thanks me, and then runs off with his family. Unfortunately I must go too now, but my picnic has made me happy.

No comments: