Sunday, May 3, 2009

Yesterday's post for the Birthday Boy.

I remember when you were so little
I could hold you asleep and lying down
With only one of my arms.
I remember when you would take my glasses
And slobber all over them.
I remember when you would stick your hands into my face,
Into my mouth, my nose, my ears,
The way you do to the dog now.
I remember when you had a little bald head,
With the soft spot I was afraid for.
Now you're growing so big.
You're kind, sharing your fruit snacks or M&M's.
Your hair is getting so long.
It's yellow and curly, and makes me think of the story you like,
Goldilocks and the three bears.
You love throwing rocks into the water.
Whenever we take Black to the beach,
or walk down to the bridge by the river,
You throw rock, after rock, after rock,
Watching the splashes get carried away by the swift current.
Your favorite thing ever though is Cars.
Lightning McQueen and Mater,
Mister The King.
Even Frank.
Anything that has wheels.
You want to go fast.
You run as fast as you can down the sidewalk,
And it scares me, because sometimes you trip.
But you're always so stoic.
You stand up and say, "Yup, I'm okay."
Brushing off my concern and getting back to the serious business of running.

No comments: